Sills Cummis & Gross attorneys have substantial experience representing health care providers in an array of litigation matters. Litigation has become an extremely expensive manner of resolving disputes, and we always make every possible effort to assist our clients in reaching amicable resolutions to disputes. Sometimes, however, adverse parties take unreasonable positions regarding settlement, and therefore, it is necessary to commence and/or defend litigation.
Health Care Litigation
- Representation of a hospital in an unfair competition suit against a competing multi-hospital health system.
- Representation of a hospital in a federal antitrust action against a Pennsylvania hospital system dealing with the out-migration of New Jersey patients to Pennsylvania.
- Representation of health care facilities in contractual disputes with contractors and vendors, some of which are settled in advance of litigation but others which are not (for example, recent disputes with an institutional pharmacy consultant, an insurance consultant and IT vendors).
- Representation of major health care facilities in litigation including charity care and tax-exemption issues.
- Representation of a New Jersey hospital in tort litigation arising out of patient deaths allegedly caused by a nurse turned murderer.
- Representation of nonprofit hospitals in connection with Attorney General and Court approval of hospital asset sales and other dispositions and affiliations.
- The litigation of many cases on behalf of hospitals as plaintiffs against third parties to recover damages for breaches of contract and other commercial and tort-related claims.
- Representing health care companies that acquired other facilities and divisions in lawsuits seeking damages for the breach of representations and warranties contained in purchase agreements.
- We have defended and prosecuted civil, criminal and administrative litigation involving State and Federal governmental agencies.