Attorneys in our Health Care Practice Group have significant experience in counseling hospitals, health systems, nursing homes and other long-term care providers, private equity funds and other health care businesses with respect to health care transactions and corporate issues. Specifically, our lawyers have extensive experience representing clients in the following areas:
Mergers, Acquisitions, Joint Ventures and Affiliations
The Health Care Practice Group has significant experience in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and affiliations involving health care providers. In addition to drafting, reviewing and negotiating the definitive agreements for these types of transactions, our attorneys also have in-depth knowledge of the various regulatory restrictions applicable to health care providers. This knowledge of regulatory restrictions, as well as our excellent working relationships with the Department of Health and Senior Services and the Attorney General’s office, is vital to handle the many complex transactional and regulatory issues affecting health care mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and affiliations.
Over the last several years and increasingly since the passage of the new Health Reform Law, we have been working on a variety of different physician alignment strategies on behalf of our clients. The trend towards delivery of care reform (e.g., ACOs), and payment reform (e.g., value-based purchasing) under Medicare and other payors has resulted in many providers seeking to establish new strategic development plans that focus on physician alignment and integration initiatives to achieve the synergies necessary to succeed under these reform measures.
Corporate Governance and Corporate Structure
We continue to advise hospitals, health systems and other health care organizations on a variety of corporate governance and corporate structure issues.
General Corporate Contracts
Another strength of our corporate health care attorneys is complex contractual arrangements. On a day-to-day basis, we are asked by our clients to draft, review, and negotiate an array of contracts. This includes, without limitation:
- Professional Service Agreements, including exclusive contracts with hospital-based physician groups
- Vendor/Service Agreements, such as agreements involving physical therapy providers, sleep lab companies, wound care companies, hyperbaric chamber providers, behavioral health services, EKG companies, transportation/ ambulance companies, food services, MRI providers, equipment and supply providers, billing companies, etc.
- Physician Employment Agreements, virtually all specialties
- Physician Recruitment Agreements
- Medical Directorship Agreements
- Clinical Affiliation Agreements
- Computer Hardware and Software Agreements with Major IT Companies, and agreements involving the donation of EHR to physicians
- Transfer Agreements
- Teaching Affiliation Agreements
- Coverage Agreements
- Lease Agreements
- Financing/Loan Agreements
- Managed Care Agreements
- In addition, we represent many hospitals in connection with the review and preparation of their Physician Contracting Policies and Procedures