- May 13, 2015 - May 15, 2015
- Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
- Atlantic City, New Jersey
- Jeffrey J. Greenbaum, Galit Kierkut
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Latest Developments in Class Action Litigation (Jeffrey Greenbaum); The Intersection of Employment Law and Social Media – How to Avoid Enemies when Making “Friends” (Galit Kierkut)
Latest Developments in Class Action Litigation
This program will discuss the latest developments in class action litigation. Topics will include the developing doctrine of ascertainability and how it will be treated by the New Jersey State courts, developments in construing arbitration contracts with class action waivers, developments in TCCWNA litigation, applicability under Rule 23(f) of preliminary approval of orders of class action settlements and more.
The Intersection of Employment Law and Social Media – How to Avoid Enemies when Making “Friends”
Recent surveys indicate both a great increase in social media communications by employees and employers’ significant and well-founded concerns about these communications. While policies help balance employers’ concerns with the reality of employee activity, the National Labor Relations Board has been vocal in its denouncement of employer attempts to reign in electronic and social discussions about certain workplace issues. When drafting policies, attorneys must be mindful of the interplay of social media use, recent legislation, NLRB decisions and the fact that social media has become a more frequent area for discovery in litigation. This program will discuss all of the above, including developing case law in this area and what kinds of discovery requests stand muster.